Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Fifth Dimension

My name is Geørgios Kønstantin Awgérinos, I live in New York and I call this blog: "UBUNTU CIVILIZATION"
I've been writing diaries and journals since February 14th, 1975.
I always kept them private but lately I realized that some of my thoughts and experiences could be shared with other people around the globe.

I perceive the Internet as a Fifth Dimension expanding beyond physical boundaries. It links strangers from different parts of the planet, transmits information at the press of a button, connects and befriends people who never met in person, creates communities of like-minded individuals and revolutionizes the way we communicate with each other; even the way we meet our date-mates.

People born in the eighties and beyond tend to take the online world for granted. I have lived a part of my life, so far, in the pre-Internet era, so, like my other contemporaries I can appreciate the enormity of the transformation that this Fifth Dimension has brought: a new world with less privacy, increasing access, a world where there is no place to hide for long, a source of unlimited information available at someone's fingertips.
For over 36 years I kept notes frequently, mostly observations about myself and the world around me. I shared them only with a few close friends. Now I am in a stage of my life where I would like to connect with people beyond my familiar realm, so I decided to establish as of today (Thursday, Dec 22, 2011, 18.55 EST), this public journal.

I hope that this blog will connect me with the most remote outposts of the world, proving that the end of the earth is actually nearer than we may guess. I have discovered that often we can find proximity in far places and recognize remoteness inside our own skin. But this is another story.

"Ubuntu Civilization" represents an initiative not just for worldwide social reforms but for a new aspect of personal understanding of life and the universe. Such a leap forward and upward begins with small steps before a critical mass creates a momentum. I hope that this blog, which is not more than a drop in the ocean, contributes even by a tiny percentage to the progression of the human condition.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete